Reply To: Architecture - Sketchup workflow

Forums SketchUp Plugin Architecture - Sketchup workflow Reply To: Architecture - Sketchup workflow

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

In general, you should find materials in bella to be simpler to create and use. The core material types are simpler and more elegant to begin with; however, they are abstract, so we are also adding various “semantic” material types, which encapsulate high-level concepts (plastic, glass, etc) with the minimum number of parameters exposed to provide necessary control.

This will help a great deal with conversion, since it becomes possible for you to express that a given collection of third-party materials should be interpreted as a certain type — that is to say, where it is remarkably difficult to take an arbitrary collection of parameters from a given material, and analyze them to find whether they should represent a plastic/glass/etc, it becomes a much more dependable process, when you are able to say “I consider these to be plastic, so see what you can do.”

Regarding assignment, though it is a given that a plugin must integrate with the host-application’s approach for managing material assignment, I think that your desired workflow can easily be accommodated using a spreadsheet approach. Just thinking out loud, but this could be something quite interesting to support in the bella scene itself (i.e. a node containing associations between materials, and either other materials, or external files), since it would allow swapping material setups without reassigning anything.