Reply To: A first question regarding the Rhino plug-in

Forums Rhino Plugin A first question regarding the Rhino plug-in Reply To: A first question regarding the Rhino plug-in

Philip

<At the current time I have one of the hard parts handled — wrapping our sdk for seamless cross-platform access from dotnet. I also have a skeleton plugin, which is able to render in the rhino viewport, but which really only renders a bella file that I load, as opposed to translating the actual rhino document.>

Thanks – sounds promising already.

</I deliberately avoid giving time estimates, because in my experience they always slide, so it will have to suffice to say that rhino is next on the list of things to do, after we finish the final things (docs, finish website, etc) for the first “official” release of bella.>

This is of course the best way to move forward – and something we are used to from the development cycles of Rhino.

<Meanwhile, as I mentioned in the other thread, please feel free to post any thoughts you may have regarding how the plugin should work.>

I really liked your plug-in for Maxwell. There were lots of stuff in there, but everything was logically arranged and easy to find. Also for the new plug-in it would be good keep the UI as clean and minimalistic as possible – and design it with the assumption that the user is a complete newbie. This approach would probably not have any negative effects for the rendering experts either.

I’m not a rendering expert myself at all. My interest is in product design and the tools I use are ‘only’ there to help me get a (necessary) 3D-model of my design – and good looking visuals to help me ‘sell’ my ideas. Rhino is very good for getting the NURBS model of the design and (in the ideal world) the renderer should be able to deliver astounding pictures of the design as easy and quickly as possible – with a minimum of tweaking. That’s why a designer like me (who’s not a rendering artist) will appreciate good, ready, “plug-and-play” materials – and a clean, easy-to-navigate UI. The docs are also very important for a ‘simple’ user like me.

</However, in the meantime they have added support for some of these concepts, but I am not convinced that these are always the most friendly or productive, so there remain some fairly fundamental questions about how to approach things>

I think you’re absolutely right – and you seem to be on the right track. 🙂

Philip