Atlas versus IPR

Forums Bug Reports Atlas versus IPR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    PhilipPhilip

It seems that the rendering result comparing those two differ a bit. The IPR rendering seems to be more colourful/saturated. Is that expected behavior?

Philip

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Generally speaking it should not, unless we are talking about it not getting some caustics or something like that.

So, my first guess is that linear workflow is enabled in Rhino render settings and therefore in settings > display > color space in Bella GUI, but that atlas > output settings > color space is set to auto (this will select based on the output file type), so you are looking at linear color space in IPR, but sRGB in the rendered image on disk.

PhilipPhilip

No, linear workflow is disabled – I read your instructions before I started testing Bella – and made a template 🙂 I have gamma set to 2.20, which I think it should be now on OS X also – and not 1.8 as it used to be.

Philip

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

In that case I’ll need a rhino file to let me observe it, since my tests are looking ok here.

PhilipPhilip

Sorry for the delay… I’ve been busy. I’ll have to send you the file privately – it’s a new product so I can’t post it here. WeTransfer?

Philip

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Sure, that should work, I’ll p.m. you my email address.

PhilipPhilip

Ok 🙂

Philip

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Got the files, thanks — there’s something here, but not yet sure what, so we’ll take a look. 🙂

(btw: unrelated to this report, but just in general, for a scene like this you may want to try the Ares solver too, as it can be quite quick when lighting is simple like this)

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Well here’s one fun behavior I am seeing, you are using the RhinoStudio.exr file in Rhino, but when we ask Rhino for the environment file for export it hands us some .png generated by the RDK code (e.g. rdk$0400-0200-CA881B89.png).

However, if I choose some other .exr (from somewhere under my /Applications folder in this case), then I get the path to that, and not this generated .png.

To check/verify this there, export to bella gui and look at the path assigned in the imageDome node.

PhilipPhilip

This is strange. I don’t see the png-thing here on my iMac. When I tried it yesterday the path said Studio.exr…
    However… Today I updated Rhino to latest SR (6.25.20091.15132, 2020-03-31) – and now I only get a black image with the RhinoStudio-file. And when I click the blue text “background path” those ‘dir, file and ext’ are empty and ‘ext’ says “not found.” Obviously I don’t have a working HDR in the scene anymore. I didn’t change anything in the Rhino-file. I have to test some more with another HDR.

Philip

PhilipPhilip

Ok, I deleted RhinoStudio, tried StudioE and it’s working again – and the path correctly said StudioE.hdr.
    After that I deleted StudioE and reimported RhinoStudio and now that one is working again also. The path is also correct: RhinoStudio.exr. Must have been some strange, temporarily hiccup… However, I don’t see any png:s anywhere…

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Thanks for reporting, I’ll update my installation and see how it goes.

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Back again, after testing this extensively, I find that for IPR in Rhino to match Bella output elsewhere, in addition to disabling linear workflow, it is also necessary to set gamma to 1.0. Here is a diff of atlas final output and IPR in Rhino at gamma 1.0:

By using gamma 1.0, I guess we are telling Rhino not to screw with the pixels we’re putting in the display.

PhilipPhilip

Ok, thanks you JD! I’ll try that (is that perhaps the wrong image? Anyway, doesn’t matter). I guess I have to remember to set gamma back to 2.2 if I’d like to use Cycles for a render? Could we in the future have Bella automagically set it to 1.0 when switching to Bella – and resetting it to 2.2 when switching back to Cycles?

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

It’s the right image, where black=no difference in the two input images. On having the plugin change the value, I think we can’t really do that, since for example, you could have one viewport rendering with bella, and another with cycles. But I can play with applying the inverse gamma and see if that works and/or slows things down too much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.