Dielectric glass with layer.

Forums Bug Reports Dielectric glass with layer.

Tagged: 

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Jeremy Hill.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I am trying to do a layer of dirt on a dielectric glass. But unfortunately I am unable to get it to work as when I apply a transparent layer on the dialectic, the dialectic appears to brake as if it dose not consider the layers of material in-between the firs and the last. Is this a limitation of the layer ore am i missing something? I tried all different settings, non of them cud create a clear layer on the dialect shader successfully. I will try to add images.
    Cheers,

Aron

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Thanks for reporting, I think the way you would want to do this is by using the blend material, have you tried that? You would put the dielectric below the dirt layer, and use a map to control the opacity of the dirt layer.

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Here is an example showing what I mean:

The dielectric is a default dielectric material, and the conductor is a simple magenta-colored conductor, which is being mapped over the dielectric using a black & white texture to control opacity.

Thanks for the swift reply. I will give that a go. I do A glass without layer (glass) and a conductor with one (dust) then use blend material to define the dust. I still think it would be nice to have the layer working as expected on the dielectric as it would be a simpler setup. It is also arguable that the ability to connect a layer to the Dialectic should be removed if it is not working as one would expect. 🙂 Unfortunately I can not add the images. Once again thanks for the help and keep up the good work.

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

It may come down to a difference in what we mean by “layer” in bella, it is not just a simple stacking of another bsdf as it may be in some other system, it is a real simulation of a thin layer of dielectric material over the substrate (whether conductor or dielectric). So its purpose is not really the same as what I think you may have been expecting.

So yes, please play a bit with the blend material and see what you are able to do, and then we can think about possible solutions for simplifying that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.