Emily

Forums Gallery Emily

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Been working with the Digital Emily model (from here) in order to provide a sample scene with Bella materials already set up. The work below was done in Rhino, where I imported the provided OBJ, set up materials, and re-did the mapping & textures for the eyes (which are not great, and use a texture found elsewhere on the web). What appears to be hair in the images is really just pixels in the diffuse texture — this testing is not about eyes/hair/etc, only skin.

The main goal/challenge for this project has been: to create a skin material that behaves well, independent of lighting conditions. Creating a convincing skin material is something requiring skills I do not pretend to possess, but that said, here is where I have arrived — the following images are all rendered from the same BSX, with the only change between them being the HDRI used:

I have found it to be surprising, how the Subsurface material reacts to these different environments (all the HDRIs are from https://hdrihaven.com).

You can also view these all together in a slideshow.

PhilipPhilip

The skin material looks great!

this looks great !

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Thanks guys! Albert has really done a great job with this Subsurface material implementation — I have never done any rendering of humans/skin before, and have been able to get this far just hacking my way around. The skin material is just a Subsurface with diffuse map applied to color, two displacement maps used as bump, and a layer at 50% opacity, with roughness modulated by the emily specular map.

I am uploading a Rhino sample scene for this as we speak, and I will then make a Maya version.

It’s a bit of a pain, because the Wikihuman project does not appear to allow us to redistribute their content, so these will be scenes that are fully set up, but with the geometry/textures then removed, ready for you to download & import back in. I’m providing step-by-step instructions for completing the setup.

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Here’s a more artistic shot.

To my eyes, I think you have “arrived”.
    I couldn’t tell if this last shot is a render unless you told me ahead of time.

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Thanks Thomas, that is truly high praise! 🙂

EricEric

Wow, such clean yet detailed renders, very very nice.

Sunlight on cheek in number 8 reveals some weird lighting like the wrong normals.

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

It can be a little funky because we are using displacement maps (exr, with negative & positive values) for bump.

EricEric

Always wise to check all the maps for light direction bias. I have emily somewhere I might look at the maps.

EricEric

There is some light bias in the main displacement texture, if you look at the small scar on her left cheek (the right cheek in the texture) there is a drop shadow.

But the main issue is the micro disp texture (which maybe you didn’t use) it has a lot of light bias in the wrinkles which have been manually tiled at different angles in different areas of the face.

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

I am indeed using both maps, I added a feature recently that allows plugging one bump or normal map into another bump map, so it’s done that way.

EricEric

Sounds good, I always need extra global bump channels in maxwell, 1 is never enough.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.