Light question

Forums Rhino Plugin Light question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PhilipPhilip

Hi Jeremy

Are we going to able to use those native Rhino lights (point light, spot light, directional, and so on) in Bella as well? That’s what I understood from your documentation anyway… Will they have fall-off also?

I never use them in Rhino, but I could use them in Bella if they are ‘proper’ lights 😉

Philip

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

They should indeed be proper (“it just works”) lights, but I cannot say if they will be able to support falloff — Albert would need to comment on that, as they are not just simple geometry with emitter material applied.

That said, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and the emitter material does indeed support a radius with falloff (or I guess you would call it that — you hook a rampInOut node to the radius, to define ramps controlling the distance at which the light starts and ends). It also supports a projector node, which essentially turns it into a spotlight — which suggests to me falloff should also be possible for at least some of the light nodes.

PhilipPhilip

<That said, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and the emitter material does indeed support a radius with falloff>

I was assuming that after reading your documentation, but I wasn’t sure, so thanks for the additional information!

Two more questions… Are you going to add predefined, standard light sources at some point… and what about IES-files?
    Thanks!

Philip

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

IES is definitely on the list, but I’m not sure about the other thing — do you mean something like a library of standard bulbs with correct emitter material already assigned, or?

PhilipPhilip

<do you mean something like a library of standard bulbs with correct emitter material already assigned, or?>

Yes (says the lazy designer) 🙂

Philip

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Seems like a job for a node that embeds several such bulbs directly in its code ..

PhilipPhilip

That would be great! TIA 😉

Philip

Albert MartinezAlbert Martinez

Hi Philip, great having you here.

Just to complement what Jeremy said with some extra information:

We already support these kinds of lights you describe natively in Bella, which means can be reused in any other platform besides Maya.The emitter material can be applied to any geometry, supporting some options like hiding to camera and/or reflections, etc and controlling the falloff with ramp and radius optional node.

For the specific lights you described we have not enabled yet all these combinations, but we will be adding them. With the exception, I think, of directional light which energy comes from “infinity” so adding a falloff with ramp and radius would be not possible.

About library of standard bulbs, precisely some days ago we were adding in Bella some of the commonly used Cine lighting database, so you can pick a model to use already calibrated spectral energy(power and hue),
    or just keeping the spectral form (hue) and adjust the energy with our units of lumen/watt etc. That database is already integrated just we need to categorize properly for showing it in the Bella GUI nicely. That would be a first step for a future library of geometric bulbs made in 3d.

PhilipPhilip

<Hi Philip, great having you here.>

Thank you!

<We already support these kinds of lights you describe natively in Bella, which means can be reused in any other platform besides Maya.The emitter material can be applied to any geometry, supporting some options like hiding to camera and/or reflections, etc and controlling the falloff with ramp and radius optional node.>

<For the specific lights you described we have not enabled yet all these combinations, but we will be adding them.>

Nice, thanks!

<With the exception, I think, of directional light which energy comes from “infinity” so adding a falloff with ramp and radius would be not possible.>

Yes, I understand.

<About library of standard bulbs, precisely some days ago we were adding in Bella some of the commonly used Cine lighting database, so you can pick a model to use already calibrated spectral energy(power and hue),
    or just keeping the spectral form (hue) and adjust the energy with our units of lumen/watt etc. That database is already integrated just we need to categorize properly for showing it in the Bella GUI nicely. That would be a first step for a future library of geometric bulbs made in 3d.>

This sounds really good – and the whole future of Bella seems very exciting! Thank you!

Philip

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.