OpenGL in GUI?

Forums General OpenGL in GUI?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tim EllisTim Ellis

Not found the button to switch to OpengL viewport in the Bella GUI, currently running in IPR mode to tweak positions and scale. Also doing the same to adjust UV projections, which is somewhat slow paced.
    Have I missed the OpenGL viewport button, or is this not an implemented feature in the GUI yet?

Spent a few hours creating materials in Maya and then in the GUI, good stuff so far once I got my head round the technical aspects of the nodal system in the GUI.

Looking forward to getting to grips with the software and producing some renders.

Great work so far chaps, really impressive.

Tim.

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Hey Tim, awesome to have you here. 🙂

Indeed, you are not missing anything — there is not yet opengl. Depending what you meant though, I may need to clarify that you can interactively pan/orbit/zoom the camera using maya-style keyboard/mouse combinations (same for the mat preview btw), while IPR is running.

My hope is that gpu will accelerate this to the point that we have no need of opengl, but either way, we will be adding methods for selecting & moving objects directly in the render view, since it will be useful to have that available in some of the plugins.

Just in general, the gui is starting out quite simple, and most of what you see is automatically generated from the node definitions. This forces me to try and make things work as well as possible at the base level, but we will add things like a node graph, dedicated mat editor, and so forth, as we go along. And on a mat editor, I think there are about 1000 ways to do this wrong, and only a few ways to do it right, and I will welcome any input you may have.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this. 🙂

Oscar CanoOscar Cano

Hello Tim! Nice to see you here 🙂

Welcome on board and thank you for your kind words. I can’t imagine what you’ll be able to do when you master Bella.

Here we are for anything you need.

Tim EllisTim Ellis

Thank you for inviting me here Jeremy.

Hey Oscar, so glad you guys are still creating and bella is very impressive.

I have been creating a ‘cough’ simball type scene based on the bella logo. It’s in a colour and light calibrated Maya scene, which I’ll send to you for you to check out. Also been working it up in the GUI but found I couldn’t import a new mesh. Is there a way to import an fbx or merge another bella scene?
    That way we could add elements via Maya fbx or bella file export.

Should I be using a conductive material with a layer for plastics or a blend material? Not sure which the preferred method is, to get a gloss finish on a base bsdf.

Will post some render of the test scene when it’s ready.

Cheers, Tim.

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Sounds great, can’t wait to see what you are doing.

Regarding import, there is none yet, but it’s been one of the most common questions so far, so I am going to prioritize getting something going for that.

For plastics, definitely the way to go is conductor+layer. Pay attention especially to the IOR of the layer, and how the material behaves when you tweak the conductor roughness underneath.

Albert MartinezAlbert Martinez

Hello Tim, welcome to Bella!

Cannot wait to see what you are creating!

As a general rule use the layer in the material when trying to get the more realistic result, because layer interacts physically with the base, depending on light angles and material parameters.

Once you use the mix materials (blend / stack) will be applying the weights you’ve chosen, even textured, but each material do not interact each other. Therefore, that’s more artist-based.

So it’s up to you what to pick in each particular case.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.