Reload - Open Existing SketchUp Model

Forums SketchUp Plugin Reload - Open Existing SketchUp Model

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I see the reload button and have clicked on it but nothing happens. I am assuming this is because I have the trial version. Am I correct.

Now to get at the real problem(s):

*I use the Settings module in SketchUp and assign material types to my SketchUp materials. I then go into the Bella GUI and set the parameters/attributes for each of my materials. Now for some reason, I need to go back into SketchUp and make some modifications. I have to stop the render process and close the Bella GUI and start it again to get the SketchUp revisions into Bella GUI. Is there a better way?
      * On several occasions, I have tried clicking on the Bella GUI link on my task bar and then selecting the previous file name so that I can change some things in the previous render results but it never loads the file into the Bella GUI.
      * In most instances when I when I start the Bella GUI, I need to go into the materials section and make changes to the materials (i.e. select the type of metal) or make some other adjustments to the environmental settings but Bella starts rendering right away. What would you think of making me click on either Render or IPR before any rendering process starts? That way I can make all of my adjustments before starting the rendering process.

As you can see, my list of dumb questions continues 🙂

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

They’re not dumb questions, I haven’t really given much direction yet. 🙂

1) The reload button only works if there is an already-loaded bella file. I guess your intuition was that it would reload whatever was loaded in a prior session, and I can see about making it work that way too.

2) No there is not a better way, this is a very simple *exporter* plugin, so it just takes your sketchup model and exports it to a bella model, then opens that in bella gui. Meaning, there is no way to get changes you make in bella gui, back into sketchup.

3) I’m not entirely clear on what you mean here — do you mean, you open bella gui from the taskbar, and then use the File menu to open a file, but it doesn’t work? To be precise, I am unclear on what you mean by “selecting the previous file name”.

4) Heh, it is funny, because I had precisely the opposite problem in my first build of the rhino plugin, where I forgot to add a flag to the command line that starts the gui, so it did not start rendering, and this confused people. I can add another button to the sketchup toolbar that would just export the file and either not start the gui at all, or start the gui, but without having it start rendering.

The former may be preferable, as it is kind of a fine point to distinguish between starting the gui with/without starting rendering (too fine a point to justify 2 buttons maybe), and because if the button just exports the file, then you could simply leave bella gui up, and hit the Reload button after re-exporting from sketchup.

3) I’m not entirely clear on what you mean here — do you mean, you open bella gui from the taskbar, and then use the File menu to open a file, but it doesn’t work? To be precise, I am unclear on what you mean by “selecting the previous file name”.

Here is the situation. I created a render but after seeing the rendered image, I decide I need to do it again but tweak some of the settings. So, instead of going back to SketchUp and starting over, I want to just open the BSA file, make the tweaks, and then render again. What I have done is start the bella gui from the taskbar and then select the appropriate BSA file. I see a message that says it is opening the file but nothing ever opens in the gui. It just sits there as a blank page.

Bottom line is that there are times (yes, way to often) that I see things that need to be changed both in the SketchUp model and in the rendered image. I just want to make some changes without having to start from scratch so I am searching for ways to do the updates without having to do everything from scratch again.

Hope this makes it a little clearer.

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

I see a message that says it is opening the file but nothing ever opens in the gui. It just sits there as a blank page.

After this, have you tried clicking Render or IPR? The GUI only auto-starts rendering when started from the plugin.

I just want to make some changes without having to start from scratch so I am searching for ways to do the updates without having to do everything from scratch again.

This is going to be a pain point of this very rudimentary plugin. You need bella actually running inside of SketchUp, giving realtime feedback as you create/delete/modify objects, materials, camera, etc.

I see a message that says it is opening the file but nothing ever opens in the gui. It just sits there as a blank page.

After this, have you tried clicking Render or IPR? The GUI only auto-starts rendering when started from the plugin.

Can you see the embarrassment on my face. This must be the dumbest question I have asked (so far). I messed the Render and IPR links. I guess the dark blue color did not catch my attention.

I just want to make some changes without having to start from scratch so I am searching for ways to do the updates without having to do everything from scratch again.

This is going to be a pain point of this very rudimentary plugin. You need bella actually running inside of SketchUp, giving realtime feedback as you create/delete/modify objects, materials, camera, etc.

I think this could be a little bit of a stumbling block. From what I see everyday on the forums related to SketchUp, it appears that people have to do a lot of tweaking on their models and renders. Having to “start from scratch” for every update could be a big negative. IMHO

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

I understand that, but here were the options:

1. keep this plugin private, until the time comes to make a full implementation.
    2. polish it up and let people play with it, if they want to.

People asked me to do the latter, so that’s why it exists.

In our “full” plugins you have rendering within the application, exposure of all applicable nodes — basically no reason to ever open bella GUI, except if you wish to render a final image outside the 3D application (as opposed to tying up the interface of the 3D app, as happens with some renderers).

OK – This makes sense….I think at this point, I got a little ahead of the game. 🙂

I am looking forward to the development of the plugin and hoping I am not being a PITA. Would like to be a contributor if that is possible. Sometimes a less sage person like myself can give you things from a point of view that is lower down than you more experienced/talented guys. 🙂

Jeremy HillJeremy Hill

Not at all (a PITA), this is exactly why I elected to go ahead and let this simple plugin out into the wild (and to be exact, I have deliberately only mentioned it in two places: our twitter, and that lone post in the sketchucation forum) — to let people like you get your feet wet, while also hopefully forming some ideas on how you think the eventual full implementation should look.

I wrote to someone else in the sketcucation forum, that basically they should wait, since their comment indicated they weren’t likely to be interested in this kind of early-access participation.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.