Through thick & thin ..

Forums Gallery Through thick & thin ..

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jeremy Hill 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Hill
    Jeremy Hill

Playing a bit more with the thick lens these days — Oscar has really outdone himself with this.

First an image using thin lens:

Next, playing with thick lens, but overdoing it a bit:

Last, much subtler (i.e. thinner thick lens, increased abbe number):

Leaving aside the lame materials, look at the details, and especially the noise (e.g. compare top left between this, and the thin lens) .. kind of wish I’d stopped it sooner.

Thomas An.

Very cool effect. Adds character if used sensibly.

Speaking of lens. A Mexican physicist recently came up with a new set of equations for manufacturing lens with the potential to remove the typical artifacts that have plagued manufacturing since the beginning.

Mexican Physicist Incredibly Solves 2,000-Year Old Ancient Lens Problem

Jeremy Hill
    Jeremy Hill

Not sure if I am reading that correctly, but it seems to speak to spherical aberration, and not chromatic aberration, which as far as I am able to reason, is not really a solvable problem (since any given lens has a particular IOR).

Thomas An.

Yup, completely different phenomena. I won’t spend much time on this because I don’t want it to hijack the OP which is indeed a cool feature. Both phenomena hinge on how the lens curves at the edges and the inability of the edges to focus light precisely. Things is, by correcting SA via equations that subtly alter the lens shape at the edge, it will do something to the CA as well; won’t resolve it since Snell’s law and wavelengths are involved, but it will do something since we are modifying geometry.

Once geometry is modified to solve for SA, then (my assumption is) a correspondingly shaped doublet could take care of the CA more effectively.

Jeremy Hill
    Jeremy Hill

More fun with thick lens ..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.